Enrolling at Carpenter
The first step for all NEW resident applicants wishing to apply to Carpenter is to visit enroll.lausd.net to start a new application during the first week of March. You will receive email verification upon completion of the enrollment application.
Child born between September 2, 2019 and September 1, 2020.
Resident Student Application for Admission
Resident students are those who reside within Carpenter's attendance area (see LAUSD School Finder.) Resident students will be given priority enrollment preference.
After you complete the application, we will verify all the information submitted. If Carpenter administration is unable to verify your address (see Address Verification, below), you will not be allowed to apply as a resident.
As an affiliated charter school, we require additional proof of address documents. Please attach the following documents (if you haven’t already done so) to your enrollment form:
- Three months Gas/DWP utility bills
- From the time of enrollment. For example, if you enroll your child in March 2024, you will need to upload the March, February, and January 2024 bills
- Owners: Property Tax Bill from year of enrollment (if home purchased that year, provide Escrow and Title, and following year’s Property Tax Bill)
- Owners: Proof of property insurance
- Renters: Lease/Rental Agreement with owner’s or management company name and contact information
- Renters: Bank Statements with cancelled checks for three (3) monthly rent checks starting at the date of enrollment. (online bank statements will not be accepted) , OR
- Any additional documents you may feel would verify your residence.
Be advised that the enrollment process will not be complete until ALL paperwork has been uploaded to the platform. There are no exceptions.
In the unlikely event that Carpenter exceeds its capacity, the school administration will consult with its local LAUSD Education Service Center to ensure, to the maximum extent possible, that the school enroll every resident student who wishes to attend.
Since becoming a Charter school in 2009, Carpenter has been able to enroll every resident student who has applied.
All resident applicants' addresses will be verified again shortly before the start of the school year. Class assignments will be emailed a few days before the start of school.
Non-Resident Student Application
Carpenter will follow LAUSD’s Unified Enrollment process and deadlines for nonresident applicants. A random public lottery will be conducted for non-resident boundary students as described below. Charter School’s non-resident lottery applications will be made available each year through the On-Time LAUSD Unified Enrollment process (Choices Brochure & Application) and eChoices Website. The six-week On-Time application window spans the first week in October through the first week in November.
Lottery Preferences and Procedures
In conducting its admissions lottery, Carpenter shall provide the following admission preferences, in the stated order of priority:
- Siblings: Prospective students who (a) are siblings of students enrolled in grades TK-4 at Carpenter at the time of the lottery and (b) reside within LAUSD boundaries, but not within the former attendance boundaries of Carpenter, shall have second admission preference.
- Other LAUSD Students: All other prospective students who reside within LAUSD boundaries, but not within the former attendance boundaries of Carpenter, shall have third admission preference.
- Siblings: Prospective students who (a) are siblings of students enrolled in grades TK-4 at Carpenter at the time of the lottery and (b) reside in the State of California but not within LAUSD boundaries, shall have fourth admissions preference.
Students who participate in the lottery but are not selected for admission during the lottery shall be placed on a waitlist in the same priority order as above. As seats become available, Carpenter shall fill the seats from the waitlist. This waitlist shall be effective until the end of the programmatic year to which it pertains.
During the month of February, after receiving the list of interested applicants from Unified Enrollment, Carpenter shall conduct its public random drawing (lottery) for non-resident boundary students only, if applicable. Carpenter's lottery for non-residents will be held on February 23, 2024 at 9:00 a.m. on campus and through zoom.
Parents of applicants being offered admission through the lottery will be notified in writing by email or mail, depending on method of application submission within one month following the lottery, and will be provided three weeks to accept the offered seat. However, after the start of the school year, parents will be given 48 hours to accept the offered seat.
Parents of student applicants who are placed on the waitlist resulting from the lottery may call or visit the school to find out their child’s priority number on the waitlist. Parents of student applicants on the waitlist who are offered admission at any time subsequent to the lottery will receive notification by telephone call and will have to contact the parent/guardian a minimum of three times to accept the offered seat.
Non-resident boundary students who apply for admission after the On-Time application window will be added to the bottom of the waitlist in the order in which their applications are received. Choices Late Applications are processed on a first come, first-served basis beginning February 1 through norm day of the following school year. The school is responsible for contacting waitlisted and late applicants.
Your address will be verified. Please see Information Required to Apply to Carpenter for more information. Carpenter's verification process is comprehensive and may require incoming families to provide additional address verification documents and include such actions as calls to apartment managers, home visits, etc.
LAUSD considers a child’s residence to be the place where that child actually lives. For example, if you own or lease property within Carpenter’s boundaries but do not reside at that address, you may not use that property’s address to apply for admission to Carpenter; LAUSD and Carpenter would consider such an application to be fraudulent.
If it is discovered that you falsified your address, we are required to transfer your child out immediately. Providing false documents will bar you from enrolling your child at Carpenter for the remainder of the current semester plus an additional semester.
Resident Application for Current School Year 2023-2024
If you have recently moved and now reside within Carpenter's attendance area boundary (LAUSD School Finder, District Boundary Map) and wish to apply for the current school year already in session, please call the school office at (818) 761-4363. It may take up to one week to verify your address - no student will be admitted as a resident without prior address verification.
OFFICE PHONE: (818) 761-4363